This is an easy way of changing just a plain pot into something a little more interesting by using the Native American Continuous Design Press Tools on a damp pot and then, after firing to bisque, glazing with Underglaze, Stroke & Coat, and Foundations.
- CD-1127 - Round Pot
- FN-009 - Black
- SC-11 - Blue Yonder
- UG-50 - Jet Black
- AC-525 - Brush Cleaner
- BT-910 - Synthetic Sponges
- CB-110 - #10/0 Liner
- CB-604 - #4 Soft Fan
- CD-1152 - 2 Native American Continuous Design Press Tools
- Banding Wheel
- Remove the piece from the mold. On the wet greenware, mark off a line around the hip of the pot using a pencil. (Optional: a banding wheel is a perfect tool to use for creating this line. A kitchen carousel or lazy susan - any turntable device - can be used as well). Keep the line even and horizontal to the piece.
- While using one hand to reinforce the insidewall of the pot, press CD-1152 Native American Press Tool into the clay surface along the line create above and rotate the wheel and pot with your other hand. Continue rolling around the hip of the pot with the press tool. Check the piece to make sure the ware is still in round. Allow the piece to dry well before continuing the decorating.
- Clean the greenware piece well. Remove any excess dust from the ware using a moistened sponge.
- Using a CB-604 #4 Soft Fan, apply 3 coats of UG-50 Jet Black to the entire outside surface. You may overlap the color slightly onto the inside of the vase. Allow to dry before firing.
- Bisque fire the piece to shelf cone 04.
- Using CB-604 #4 Soft Fan, apply 3 coats of FN-009 Black to the inside of the pot.
- Using a CB-110 #10/0 Liner, apply 2-3 coats of SC-11 Blue Yonder to the background areas of the design running around the pot. Allow to dry.
- Fire to shelf cone 06.
- Optional - to protect the matte finish of the underglaze: Apply 2 coats of AC-502 MatteBrush-On Sealer to the underglazed areas of the pot using CB-604 #4 Soft Fan. Allow 24 hours between applications of the sealer. Wash the brush in warm water and AC-525 Brush Cleaner.