This innovative process allows you to produce macro-crystalline structures in every firing. The crystalline pattern is created by applying Seeding Media in a wash or pinpoint pattern over the Engobe, and applying Crystalline Clear over the entire piece.
Us a kiln with an electronic controller and follow our firing program to complete the process.
- Soft-bisqued stoneware piece
- CR-100 - Crystalline Clear
- CR-201 - Dark Blue Engobe
- CR-203 - White Engobe
- CR-204 - Black Engobe
- CR-301 - Seeding Media
- CB-604 - #4 Soft Fan
- BT-910 - Synthetic Sponges
- Designer: Staff Designer
- Skill Level: Basic
- Time: 1 hour
- Use a clay body that is capable of withstanding a cone 6 or higher firing.
- Begin with properly fired shelf cone 04 bisque. Moisten a clean sponge and wipe bisque to remove any dust.
- Using a CB-604 #4 Soft Fan, apply 3 coats of CR-203 White Engobe to the outside of the bowl and CR-204 Black Engobe to the inside of the bowl including the rim of the bowl. Allow to dry.
- Apply a wash of CR-201 Dark Blue Engobe to the upper part of the bowl blending with some CR-203 White Engobe if needed. Allow to dry.
- Apply the CR-301 Seeding Media. Allow to dry.
- Using a CB-604 #4 Soft Fan, apply 3 coats of CR-100 Crystalline Clear to the piece except the bottom.
- The firing requires a programmable controller and is detailed below:
Ramp 1: 9999 (take the kiln up to temperature as fast as possible) to 2300°F (1260°C)
Hold 1: 0.00
Ramp 2: 9999 to 2012°F (1100°C)
Hold 2: 6.00 hrs