- MB-1366 Bottle Cap
- CG-722 Seawind
- FN-001 White
- SG-401 Black
- SC-5 Tiger Tail
- SC-15 Tuxedo
- SC-25 Cracker Jack Brown
- SC-26 Green Thumb
- SC-28 Blue Isle
- SC-31 The Blues
- SC-52 Toad-ily Green
- SC-77 Glo Worm
- SC-79 Cara-Bein Blue
- SC-97 Cant-elope
- SC-205 Speckled Tiger Tail
- SC-231 Speckled The Blues
- S-2101 Crystal Clear Brushing Glaze
- AC-230 Clay Carbon Paper
- CB-110 #10/0 Liner
- CB-106 #6 Script Liner
- CB-404 #4 Pointed Round
- CB-602 #2 Soft Fan
- CB-604 #4 Soft Fan
- RB-104 Liner
- BT-910 Synthetic Sponge
- Download: Pattern (Print on 11x17 Tabloid Paper)
- Banding Wheel (no lazy susan)
- Plastic Cup
Designer: William Pulse
- Begin with properly fired shelf cone 04 bisque. Moisten a clean sponge and wipe bisque to remove any dust.
- Using CB-604 Soft Fan, apply 2 coats of FN-001 White to the front of the piece.
- Center the pattern onto the front of the piece. Using AC-230 Clay Carbon and a pencil, trace the basic parts of the pattern to the ware. The outside of the border need not be completely traced if you feel comfortable free-handing and doing your own detail.
- Center the piece onto a Banding Wheel (not a Lazy Susan). Check to make sure the large circle of the pattern is centered before painting. Adjust if necessary before painting. While keeping the Banding Wheel turning in a smooth motion, use CB-106 Script Liner loaded with slightly thinned SC-15 Tuxedo to paint in the major circle of the pattern.
- Using CB-110 Liner loaded with SC-15 Tuxedo, paint in the two scrolls for the cheeks. Paint in the profile line for the face noting the variation in line thickness.
- Use CB-404 Pointed Round to paint in the iris of the eye with SC-5 Tiger Tail. Shade the outer edge of the iris using SC-25 Cracker Jack Brown, using the same brush, blending the color over the Tiger Tail. Using CB-110 Liner to paint in the detail of the iris with SC-52 Toad-ily Green. Paint in the pupil of the eye with SC-15 Tuxedo, exclude the high-light of the pupil.
- Load CB-404 Pointed Round with water and tip with SC-28 Blue Idle to shade the eye lid keeping the tip of the brush next to the bottom edge of the eye lid.
- If you didn't trace the border of the design, use a pencil to mark out the 24 sections of the bottle cap aligning the point from the edge.
- Using SG-401 Black Designer Liner draw in all of the lines, circles, and diamond shapes in the border. Outline the eye shapes including the eylid, socket and each side of the iris.
- Fill in the diamond shapes in the border with 2 coats of SP-231 Speckled The Blues using RB-104 Liner. Fill in the circle shapes of the border with 2 coats of SP-205 Speckled Tiger Tail. To the remaining small circles and diamonds in the border, apply 1 coat of either SC-26 Green Thumb, SC-52 Toad-ily Green, SC-77 Glo-Worm, or SC-97 Cant-elope alterning at random.
- Slightly thin some SC-15 Tuxedo and using RB-104 Liner, add pressure-pont brushstrokes over the lines adjacent to lines that buffers the diamonds and circles. Refer to the pattern. These strokes will beef up and give shape to those lines Let dry.
- Using CB-602 Soft Fan to apply some SC-31 The Blues in small crisscross strokes to the areas of the face as follows: Right side of face starting at the brow, under the eye, under the nose coninuing along the side of the mouth down through to the chin. The color is heaviest on this side of the face, just along the side of the mouth down through to the chin and up towars the cheek. For the left side of the face cisscross, just along the lower cheek, temple, under the eye and a bit over the brow. Use SC-79 Cara-Bein Blue to reinforce the previous blue next to the edge. This color is darkest along the right side of the face and near the chin area.
- Using CB-404 Pointed Round to apply one coat of SC-77 Glo-Worm to the inner edge area of the scroll on the cheek. Keep this color bold and vary the width of the line.
- Do not shake or stir CG-722 Seawind. Dump the contents of the jar into a plastic cup and use a spoon to scoop up about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of the crystals. Slightly thin this crystal glaze with some water. Apply a thin coat of the crystals to the areas around the face dispersing them randomly by evenly. They crystals are applied heavier on the right side of the face over the previous blue areas. Some crystals are brought around the shape of the cheeks. Keep the crystals off the lines of the face. Let dry.
- Thin some S-2101 Crystal Clear with some water to a heavy cream consistency in a plastic cup. Apply one coat of the glaze mixture over the border and edges of the front. To the face, dab this mixture over the crystals as to not lift or move them while aplying the clear glaze. For outside use, it is recommended to glaze the inside surface as well.
- Stilt and fire to shelf cone 06/05.