- MB-1353 8”x10” Clay Canvas
- SC-2 Melon-Choly SC-8 Just Froggy, SC-10 Teal Next Time, SC-11 Blue Yonder, SC-14 Java Bean, SC-15 Tuxedo, SC-16 Cottontail, SC-25 Crackerjack Br., SC-30 Blue Dawn, SC-31 The Blues, SC-34 Down To Earth, SC-35 Gray Hare, SC-41 Brown Cow, SC-45 My Blue Heaven, SC-52 Taod-ily Green, SC-53 Purple Haze, SC-63 Popeye’s Favorite, SC-76 Cara-Bein Blue, SC-77 Glo-Worm, SC-78 Lime Light, SC-79 It’s Sage, SC-90 Elephant Ears, FN-001 White, S-2101 Crystal Clear Brushing, SG-402 White
- CB-110 #10/0 Liner, CB-106 #6 Script Liner, CB-406 Pointed Round, CB-602 Soft Fan, CB-604 #4 Soft Fan, BT-910 Synthetic Sponge, DSS-0109 Aviary - Large Birds, AC-230 Clay Carbon Paper, AC-310 Silkscreen Medium
- Pencil, Clear Contact paper, Palette Knife, Palette or Tile, Silk Decorating Sponge, Sharpie Fine Tip Marker, 1" Blue Masking Tape
- Download: Pattern
- Begin with properly fired shelf cone 04 bisque. Moisten a clean sponge and wipe bisque to remove any dust.
- Using CB-604 Soft Fan apply 2 coats of FN-001 White to the ware.
- Using AC-230 Clay Carbon and a pencil to transfer the placement of the egret and horizon line to the piece. Trace on the outline of the egret onto the Clear Contact Paper using a Sharpie Fine tip marker. Cut out the egret shape and apply the contact paper shape to the egret on the ware. Place a piece of Blue Masking tape below the horizon line of the pattern securing the edges well on the ware.
- On a tile place the following colors: SC-2 Melon-Choly, SC-16 Cottontail, SC-30 Blue Dawn, SC-31 The Blues, SC-45 My Blue Heaven, SC-53 Purple Haze. Using the pattern as a guide, load CB-604 Soft Fan with the SC-45 and paint in the sky area with long slight curved sweeping line for the sky. Pick up some of the other colors and wet blend the remaining colors into the sky excluding the SC-16 Cottontail. Use CB-602 Soft Fan loaded with SC-16 Cottontail to paint in the clouds using a print motion. Use thinned SC-30 and SC-31 To detail the clouds using CB-110 Liner. Remove the tape after the color has dried slightly to ensure no chipping of the glaze. Let Dry.
- Reapply the Blue Masking tape over the top edge of the horizon line. Secure the edges to the ware. Using CB-604 Soft Fan to apply SC-45 to the water keeping the strokes parallel to the horizon. Streak in some SC-31 and SC-76 Cara-Bein to the top portion of the water next to the horizon. The darker color will be next to the sky. Apply some thinned SC-10 Teal Next Time to the horizon edge as well. Towards the lower area of the water, repeat the same colors in reverse and adding some SC-11 Blue Yonder to where the darker colors are at the bottom of the canvas. Remove the masking tape and contact paper from the egret once the color has lost its sheen. You may need to use some water to moisten the edges of the egret if the color is too dry and to avoid chipping of the glaze.
- Paint in the trunk of the tree using CB-406 Pointed Round with SC-90 Elephant ears for solid coverage. Paint and shade in the details to the bark with thinned SC-14 Java Bean.
- For the leaves in the tree, load a Silk Decorating sponge with SC-77 Glo-Worm and tip the edge with SC-10 Teal Next Time. Pounce in the color to blend with the sponge. For the “Spanish Moss” use CB-110 Liner loaded with SC-79 It’s Sage and SC-52 Toad-ily Green. For the vine, use SC-25 Crackerjack Brown and SC-34 Down To Earth.
- Trace or redraw the trees and reflection in the water at the horizon. Using CB-110 Liner to paint in the trees (not the reflections for now) using SC-79 It’s Sage. Detail the foliage with thinned SC-52 Toad-ily Green and SC-8 Just Froggy. For the tree trunks use thinned SC-14 Java Bean.
- The tree reflections are painted in with the same colors as the trees but done in short horizontal lines to break up the image as would be in the reflected water.
- Mix separately some of the following colors of Stroke and Coats with AC-310 Silk Screen Medium to a peanut butter consistency. SC-14 Java Bean, SC-76 Cara-Bein Blue, SC-35 Gray Hare and SC-15 Tuxedo. Using the egret from DSS-109 Aviary-Large Birds, place the silk screen smooth side down over the egret area that was masked earlier. Holding the silkscreen firmly, apply SC-14 to the beak and leg areas. SC-35 to the egret. SC-76 to the top edge of the bird. SC-15 to the lower tail. Lift and remove the silk screen from the ware and wash immediately with water.
- With some thinned SC-25 Crackerjack brown apply a thin coat of color to the legs, beak and iris of the eye. Detail the pupil with SC-15 Tuxedo. Shade under the wing/body separations and along the back of the neck with thinned SC-15. Use some thinned SC-11 to shade the top portion of the head on the egret.
- Detail the egret with SG-402 White Designer Liner to add highlights to the wings and body. Keep the detailing in the bird with fine lines and dots of white color.
- Using a moistened Silk Decorating Sponge loaded with SC-77 Glo-Worm and SC-78 Lime Light tipped with SC-52 Toad-ily Green to pounce in the ground areas in the foreground creating clumps/ mounded sections.
- Using CB-110 Liner loaded with thinned SC-8 Just Froggy to paint in the cat tail leaves in the middle ground areas. Paint in the cat tail with SC-41 Brown Cow shaded with thinned SC-34 Down To Earth.
- The cat tail leave towards the bottom of the canvas ( the nearest foreground) are painted in with SC-8 Just Froggy, SC-10 Teal Next Time and SC-63 Popeye’s Favorite. Paint in some branches in the foreground with SC-34 Down To Earth and detailed with SC-15 using CB-110 Liner.
- Apply one coat of S-2101 Crystal Clear Brushing Glaze using CB-604 Soft Fan to the entire piece.
- Stilt and Fire the ware to Shelf Cone 05-06.