SECTION 1: IDENTIFICATION OF SUBSTANCE AND SUPPLIER
Product Identification: Cellulose Polymer
Product Usage: Thickening agent for ceramic glaze
Product Identifier Codes: AC-310 Silkscreen Medium
|Manufacturer:||Hercules Incorporated, Aqualon Division|
|Hercules Plaza, 1313 North Market Street|
|Wilmington, DE 19894|
|United States of America|
IN CASE OF EMERGENCY PLEASE CONTACT YOUR REGIONAL/LOCAL POISON CONTROL CENTER
SECTION 2: HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION
- Static charges generated by emptying package in or near flammable vapors may cause flash fire.
- May form flammable dust-air mixtures.
- May cause mild eye irritation.
- May cause skin irritation by mechanical abrasion.
- Inhalation of dust may cause respiratory tract irritation.
- Surfaces subject to spills may become slippery.
POTENTIAL HEALTH EFFECTS
- Repeated ingestion may cause an allergic reaction in susceptible individuals.
- Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause sensitization (allergic reaction) in susceptible individuals.
Refer to Section 5 for Hazardous Combustion Products, and Section 10 for Hazardous Decomposition/Hazardous Polymerization Products.
SECTION 3: COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
This product is considered hazardous according to the OSHA Hazard Communication Standard 29CFR1910.1200 due to flammable dust potential.
|Ingredients||CAS #||Ranges of Percentages|
SECTION 4: FIRST-AID MEASURES
- Inhalation: Remove to fresh air. Get medical attention if nasal, throat or lung irritation develops.
- Skin: Wash thoroughly with soap and water. Remove contaminated clothing. Get medical attention if irritation develops or persists. Thoroughly wash clothing before reuse.
- Eyes: Remove contact lenses. Hold eyelids apart. Immediately flush eyes with plenty of low-pressure water for at least 15 minutes. Get medical attention if irritation persists.
- Ingestion: No adverse health effects are expected from accidental ingestion of small amounts of this product. For ingestion of large amounts: Do NOT induce vomiting. Get immediate medical attention.
Important Symptoms/Effects: None Known
Immediate Medical Attention/Special Treatment: None Known
SECTION 5: FIRE-FIGHTING MEASURES
- Suitable Extinguishing Media: Water spray, dry chemical, foam, carbon dioxide or clean extinguishing agents may be used on fires involving this product.
- Fire Fighting Procedures: Wear self-contained breathing apparatus pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH approved (or equivalent) and full protective gear when fighting fires involving this product.
- Specific Hazards Arising From Chemical: None Known
- Hazardous Combustion Products: Combustion products include: carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide and smoke
SECTION 6: ACCIDENTAL RELEASE MEASURES
- Personal Precautions, Protective Equipment and/or Emergency Procedures: Safety glasses. Impervious gloves. Appropriate protective clothing. Wear approved dust/mist respirator if user operations create dust/mist that causes irritation.
- Environmental Precautions: Clean up spills immediately.
- Methods and Materials for Containment and Clean-Up: If product is not contaminated, scoop into clean containers for use. If product is contaminated, scoop into containers, and dispose appropriately.
SECTION 7: HANDLING AND STORAGE
- Precautions for Safe Handling: Ground all equipment. Blanket vessel with inert gas when emptying bags where flammable vapors may be present. Ground operator and pour material slowly into conductive, grounded chute. Keep container closed when not in use.
- Work/Hygienic Practices: Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Avoid breathing dust. Handle in areas with adequate ventilation. Avoid contamination of food, beverages, or smoking materials. Wash thoroughly after handling, and before eating, drinking or smoking. Remove contaminated clothing promptly and clean thoroughly before reuse.
- Conditions for Safe Storage, Including Incompatibilities: Store in a cool, dry, well ventilated area. Avoid conditions that generate dust; product may form flammable dust-air mixtures. Avoid emptying package in or near flammable vapors; static charges may cause flash fire. Keep away from heat, flame, sparks and other ignition sources. Do not store in direct sunlight or expose to UV radiation
SECTION 8: EXPOSURE CONTROLS/PERSONAL PROTECTION
No exposure limit has been established. This product may irritate the upper respiratory tract if used under conditions that create dust or mist particulates.
- Engineer Control: Adequate ventilation (local exhaust). Eyewash fountains and safety showers should be easily accessible. Keep floors clean and dry. Clean up spills immediately.
- Respiratory Protection: Use a NIOSH approved respirator if user operations create dust/mist that causes irritation.
- Protective Gloves: Impervious gloves.
- Eye Protection: Safety glasses.
- Personal Protective Clothing or Equipment: Wear appropriate clean, protective clothing such as, but not limited to, overalls, smocks, and aprons.
- Protective Measures During Repair And Maintenance: Eliminate ignition sources and prevent build-up of static electrical charges. Completely isolate and thoroughly clean all equipment, piping, or vessels before beginning maintenance or repairs. Keep area clean.
SECTION 9: PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL PROPERTIES
|Appearance:||White to Off-White Powder|
|PH:||6.5-8.5 (2% solution)|
|Upper/Lower Explosive Limits:||N/A|
|Relative Density:||1.5 - 1.6 (g/cc)|
|Bulk Density:||0.6 - 0.9 g/ml|
|Solubility in Water:||Limited by Viscosity|
|Particle Size:||10 % max. on 40 mesh screen|
|Auto ignition temperature:||680° F|
SECTION 10: STABILITY AND REACTIVITY
|Possibility of Hazardous Reactions:||None Known|
|Conditions to Avoid:||High temperatures, sparks, open flames and all other sources of ignition. Minimize air borne spreading of dust. Clean up immediately to eliminate slipping hazard. Keep tightly closed to protect quality. Avoid moisture contamination.|
|Incompatible Material:||Strong oxidizers. Strong acids. Strong bases. Reducing agents. Avoid moisture contamination.|
|Hazardous Decomposition or By-Products:||Thermal decomposition products are toxic and may include oxides of carbon, sodium and irritating gases.|
SECTION 11: TOXICOLOGY INFORMATION
Primary Route(s) of Entry: Dermal, Inhalation.
Hazard to Humans: None during normal use. The highest threat of inhalation exists during the excessive handling of dried, unfired glazed ware and/or during spray application.
|Acute Toxicity: N/A||Carcinogenicity: N/A|
|Skin Corrosion.Irritation: N/A||Reproductive Toxicity: N/A|
|Serious Eye Damage/Irritation: N/A||STOT-Single Exposure: N/A|
|Respiratory/Skin Sensitization: May cause skin sensitization or other allergic responses.||STOT-Repeated Exposure: N/A|
|Germ Cell Mutagenicity: N/A||Aspiration Hazard: N/A|
Repeated ingestion may cause an allergic reaction in susceptible individuals. Sensitization is the process whereby a biological change occurs in the individual because of previous exposure to a substance and, as a result, the individual reacts more strongly when subsequently exposed to the substance. In an industrial setting, the common routes of sensitization, inhalation and skin contact, are addressed by WHMIS. However, sensitization by ingestion is not specifically considered by WHMIS.
Sodium Carboxymethyl Cellulose produced a laxative effect after repeated oral ingestion of large amounts (10 grams). A single case of allergic contact dermatitis has been reported after repeated long-term (8 years) skin contact.
SECTION 12: ECOLOGICAL INFORMATION
|Ecotoxicity:||Low acute toxicity to aquatic organisms|
|Mobility in Soil:||No|
|Other Adverse Effects:||None|
SECTION 13: DISPOSAL CONSIDERATIONS
Follow local, state and federal regulations.
SECTION 14: TRANSPORTATION INFORMATION
Product Identifier: Non-Hazardous Material
UN Shipping Name: N/A
UN Number: None
Environmental Hazard: None
Packing Group: None
Transportation Hazard Class: N/A
Special Precautions: None
SECTION 15: REGULATORY INFORMATION
Federal, State and Local regulations not provided elsewhere in the SDS:
- TSCA: this product is on the US TSCA Inventory
SECTION 16: ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
AC-310 Silkscreen Medium does not contain any products and/or ingredients derived from nuts, peanuts, eggs, milk, or gluten. AC-310 Silkscreen Medium does not contain latex.
This information is furnished with out warranty, representation, inducement or license of any kind, except that it is accurate to the best of knowledge of COLORAMICS, LLC or obtained from sources believed to be accurate.
COLORAMICS, LLC does not assume any legal responsibility for use or reliance on same. Customers are encouraged to conduct their own tests before using any product. Read the product label.
Acronyms used in this SDS:
- CAS #: Chemical Abstracts Service Number
- TSCA: Toxic Substances Control Act
- OSHA: Occupational Safety and Health Administration
|Prepared:||October 16, 2014|