- DT-661 - 6" Unglazed Tile
- FN-009 - Black
- SC-15 - Tuxedo
- SC-27 - Sour Apple
- SC-34 - Down to Earth
- SC-36 - Irish Luck
- BT-910 - Synthetic Sponges
- CB-110 - #10/0 Liner
- CB-604 - #4 Soft Fan
- Begin with properly fired shelf cone 04 bisque. Moisten a clean sponge and wipe bisque to remove any dust.
- Using a CB-604 #4 Soft Fan brush on 2 coats of FN-009 Black on the tile.
- Cut out the paper ants.
- Dampen the area for the ant placement. Place the paper ants on the tile and wet the paper with a brush of water. Press down paper with paper towels. This will press the paper into the glaze and avoid any leaking of glaze. Make sure you remember you ant placement.
- Brush on 2 coats of SC-27 Sour Apple over the tile and the paper ants.
- Pencil on a center stem and direction of the leaf veins.
- Brush back over the area with SC-27 Sour Apple under where the raffia will be placed. Place the raffia at angles (to mimic veining of a leaf) into the wet glaze then press with your fingers to get it to stick.
- Brush a coat of SC-36 Irish luck over the tile. Mix SC-27 Sour Apple with SC-36 Irish Luck to get variations of color.
- When the glaze begins to dry, remove the raffia and the paper ants.
- With CB-110 #10/0 Liner, stroke in a center vein with SC-34 Down To Earth.
- Paint on the ants legs with SC-15 Tuxedo.
- Stilt and fire to shelf cone 05/06.