- Last Updated: Friday, 26 April 2013 15:09
Inspired by the Halloween season, this project recreates a scene from the book "Room on the Broom" by Julia Donaldson, using your child's handprint as the broom upon which is a witch riding through the sky!
- MB-882 - Rectangle Tray
- SC-6 Sunkissed
- SC-12 Moody Blue
- SC-15 Tuxedo
- SC-16 Cotton Tail
- SC-33 Fruit of the Vine
- SC-34 Down To Earth
- SC-35 Gray Hare
- SC-41 Brown Cow
- SC-46 Rawhide
- SC-73 Candy Apple Red
- SC-75 Orange-A-Peel
- AC-230 Clay Carbon Paper
- CB-110 #10/0 Liner
- CB-404 #4 Pointed Round
- BT-910 Synthetic Sponges
Tip on getting a good handprint: To get a good handprint, use a thick brush and paint your child's hand. Then, place it on the plate and press down with your hand over their hand before lifting up.
- Begin with properly fired shelf cone 04 bisque. Moisten a clean sponge and wipe bisque to remove any dust.
- Trace the witch pattern onto your piece using AC-230 Clay Carbon Paper. Using a pencil, press firmly as you trace over the witch and the broom. Be careful not to move the carbon paper as you trace. A thin line will transfer onto your bisque and provide an outline from which you may work.
- Apply a color wash of SC-12 Moody Blue, SC-15 Tuxedo, and SC-16 Cotton Tail, all over the front and back of your plate. Try not to get the color wash on the witch. (You make a wash by dipping a cotton ball into your cup of water. Then, squeeze excess water out and dip it in one color at a time. Apply color by making swirling motions all over the plate.) It is OK if the colors overlap. BE CAREFUL not to apply too much black - it will overwhelm your piece.
- Using a CB-404 #4 Pointed Round brush, apply one coat of SC-41 Brown Cow to the broomstick.
- Apply 1 - 2 coats of SC-15 Tuxedo to the hat, cape and shoes of the witch.
- Apply 1 - 2 coats of SC-33 Fruit of the Vine to the skirt of the witch.
- Apply 1 - 2 coats of SC-73 Candy Apple Red to the hair and blouse of the witch.
- Apply 2 - 3 coats of SC-46 Rawhide to the face and hands of the witch.
- Apply 1 coat of SC-35 Gray Hare to the legs of the witch.
- Place a light dab of SC-41 Brown Cow on the crook of the witch's nose.
- Using the very tip of your brush, place a dot of SC-16 Cotton Tail to create the eye of the witch.
- Again, using the very tip of your brush, place a dot of SC-75 Orange-A-Peel just above the witch's left shoulder to create a brooch.
- Apply 2 - 3 coats of SC-6 Sunkissed to the bow at the base of the witch's braid.
- Load the tip of your brush heavily with SC-6 Sunkissed and dab color in the shape of stars around the witch and at the tip of her wand. Using the same technique, make a moon to the left of the witch's hat.
- Create the end of the broom with a handprint. Coat the child's hand using SC-34 Down To Earth and then position the hand at the base of the broomstick.
- With a CB-110 #10/0 Liner outline the witch, add details to her clothing, and outline her wand. Also, you may want to add the child's name, the month and year.
- Stilt and fire to shelf cone 06.