- Last Updated: Friday, 26 April 2013 15:10
Everyone loves hearing and telling the childhood classic "The Tortoise and The Hare." The moral of the story -- slow and steady wins the race -- takes on added meaning when placed on this turtle bank.
- MB-1189 - Turtle Bank
- SC-7 Leapin' Lizard
- SC-14 Java Bean
- SC-15 Tuxedo
- SC-16 Cotton Tail
- SC-24 Dandelion
- SC-26 Green Thumb
- SC-31 The Blues
- SC-39 Army Surplus
- SC-52 Toad-ily Green
- SC-54 Vanilla Dip
- SC-74 Hot Tamale
- AC-230 - Clay Carbon Paper
- RB-104 - #4 Liner
- CB-200 - #0 Detail Liner
- CB-604 - #4 Soft Fan
- BT-910 - Synthetic Sponges
- Black Underglaze Pencil
- Designer: Marcy Freed
- Skill Level: Intermediate
- Time: 1½ hours
- Begin with properly fired shelf cone 04 bisque. Moisten a clean sponge and wipe bisque to remove any dust.
- The majority of this project is done by applying color in the form of a wash and an underglaze pencil to achieve a more illustrative storybook look. Only 1 coat is needed when applying the washes.
- Sketch or trace the hare design on to both sides of the shell of the turtle.
- Apply a wash of SC-52 Toad-ily Green to the legs and head of the turtle (save the eyes). Do this by dipping a CB-604 #4 Soft Fan into a glass of water and then swirling the brush in a dab of SC-52 Toadi-ly Green. Repeat if needed to thin the glaze.
- Using the same technique, apply a wash of SC-39 Army Surplus to the bottom rim of the turtle shell.
- Using the point of a CB-200 #0 Detail Liner, apply the wash of SC-39 Army Surplus to the lids of the turtle's eyes.
- Add a dot of SC-15 Tuxedo to the eyes of the turtle to form pupils.
- Apply 1 coat of SC-24 Dandelion to the headband of the rabbit on both sides of the rabbit.
- Mix a 1:1 ratio of SC-54 Vanilla Dip and SC-14 Java Bean together and then thin it with a small amount of water. Apply this mixture to the body of the rabbit on each side of the bank.
- Apply a wash of of SC-74 Hot Tamale to the jersey top of the rabbit on each side.
- Apply a small dab of SC-24 Dandelion to the sides of the rabbits shorts on each side.
- Paint 3 thin stripes, 1 coat of SC-31 The Blues on the side of the rabbit's sneakers.
- Apply a wash of SC-54 Vanilla Dip to the background of the "START" banner. Apply 1 coat of SC-31 The Blues to the letters: START.
- Use a RB-104 #4 Liner to apply 1 coat of SC-14 Java Bean to the poles of the "START" banner.
- Apply 2 coats of SC-54 Vanilla Dip to the tree of the side of the snoozing bunny.
- Make a wash of SC-7 Leapin' Lizard and SC-26 Green Thumb. Using a single round brush, dab (alternating between SC-7 Leapin' Lizard and SC-26 Green Thumb) color on the shrubs and the tree top.
- Apply a dot of SC-16 Cotton Tail to form an eye on the running bunny.
- Apply a dot of SC-16 Cotton Tail inside the turtle's pupils.
- Using a CB-200 #0 Detail Liner place a dot of SC-15 Tuxedo to the center of the eye of the rabbit.
- Using a RB-104 #4 Liner and and SC-15 Tuxedo write, "Slow and Steady Wins the Race" above and to the right of the sleeping hare.
- Next, use a black underglaze pencil and trace over the outlines and cross hatching patterns your originally traced on. Be very careful not to touch the pencil once you have applied it to the bank. It will smudge EASILY!
- Apply Clear Glaze (optional).
- Stilt and fire to shelf cone 06.