CD-1167 Banana Leaf, WET Greenware stored in plastic bag until use.
FN-217 Evergreen Fir
SC-11 Blue Yonder
SC-27 Sour Apple
SC-52 Toad-ily Green
SC-73 Candy Apple Red
SC-88 Tu Tu Tango
CB-220 Detail Liner
CB-404 Pointed Round
CB-604 Soft Fan
Low fire pug clay, approx. 1 LB.
Various Modeling Tools of your choice.
Green Grit Cloth
Small Rolling Pin
Plastic (Dry Cleaning) Bag
- Pattern: Download
- Order the Banana Leaf greenware WET, keep in a plastic bag until the modeling is completed.
- Refer to the Frog Diagram for approximate size of the frog parts.
- Start with the frog body.
- The diagram shows the top and side views of the body to be sculpted.
- The nose of the frog is slightly pointed with a triangular forehead. Make the contours of the spine as shown.
- Form two holes for the eye sockets about the size of a pencil erraser
- Roll two balls of clay about the size of a pea
- Use slip to attach the eyes into the sockets.
- Use some clay to form a brow/eyelid over each eye.
- Give the body a slight twist or bend to it for better movement to the sculpture.
- Form the four legs about the size of the diagram. The thighs of the legs are kind of triangular in shape. The feet are formed separately. Use a modeling tool to form the muscles in the legs and calves. Set aside to firm up. The front legs are small tapered logs.
To assemble the frog
- Start with the body placed on your leaf. Use a small ball of clay to support the placement of the frog.
- For the back legs; Make a small triangle flat shape for the foot pad. Use the legs to see how far to place the footpad before attaching.
- Attach it with some slip to the Banana leaf. Take the long back leg and attach it to the body of the frog and then to the foot pad. Use slip to attach each piece to one another after scoring the ware (scratches to each side is attached.)
- Make four small teardrop shapes for the toes (raised portions) on the foot.
- Model the teardrops onto the foot and web clay around the ankle and hip area.
- Place the other hind leg on the other side and repeat the process for attachment and making of the foot.
- Attach the front legs to the body with slip and web the clay into the body. Make the feet pads as before with the teardrops (toes) on the foot pads.
- Attach them with slip and web them onto the leaf.
- Check the frog before letting it dry to make sure all attachments are done well and no excess clay remains.
- Once the form is attached to the banana leaf and it can support itself, remove the clay support from under the frog.
- Keep the ware in a plastic bag to slow down the drying process.
- It may be necessary to mist the piece with water to keep the piece drying slowly.
- Don’t rush the drying process because of the two different moisture contents to the piece.
- If there are cracks that develop during the drying process, use some slip and modeling clay to repair the cracks.Let the piece completely dry before firing. I would suggest about a week before firing.
- Remove the seam from the piece and clean up the frog using a Clean-up Tool.
- Use Green Grit Cloth to sand the seams and frog. Be careful not to damage the frog.
- Sponge lightly with a moistened sponge to remove any dust from the ware.
Fire to Shelf Cone 03-04.
- Apply 3 coats of SC-27 Sour Apple to the frog excluding the eyes and feet pads using CB-404 Pointed Round. One coat of Sour Apple can be applied to the foot pads about half way to the toes.
- Shade the muscles and crevices with SC-52 Toad-ily Green.
- Paint a line along the mouth with SC-52 Toad-ily Green using CB-100 Liner.
- Apply 3 coats of SC-50 Jack-O-Lantern to the foot pads blending the color over the Sour Apple color up onto the ankle of the leg using CB-404 Pointed Round.
- Shade the toes of the feet with SC-88 Tu Tu Tango using CB-404 Pointed Round.
- Apply 2 coats of SC-88 Tu Tu Tango to the eyes using CB-220 Detail Liner.
- Shade the eyes with thinned SC-73 Candy Apple Red around the edge of the eye.
- Paint in the pupil shape (vertical slit) with SC-15 Tuxedo using CB-100
- Paint in some SC-11 Blue Yonder to the area between the front and back legs along the side of the frog using CB-220 Detail Liner.
- Apply 1 coat of S-2101 Crystal Clear Brushing to the frog only using CB-404 Pointed Round.
- Apply 3 coats of FN-217 Evergreen Fri to the banana leaf using CB-404 Pointed Round and CB-604 Soft Fan.
Stilt and Fire the ware to Shelf Cone 05-06.