- Last Updated: Friday, 26 April 2019 18:49
- CD-1148 Skinny Gourd
- UG-1 Kings Blue
- UG-46 Bright Yellow
- UG-203 Squash Yellow
- UG-204 Orange
- UG-22 Spring Green
- UG-209 Jade
- UG-206 Fire Engine Red
- S-2101 Clear
- Xiem mini ribbon Sculpting Tool 10291
- CB-106 Script Liner
- CB-606 Soft Fan
- CB-110 Liner
- Pour the skinny gourd mold 1/4' thick, cut out the bird hole and the perch hole.
- The gourd needs to be leather hard to sgraffito.
- Cut out the shape of the snake and largest cactus from the pattern.
- Place the pattern on the gourd to trace the design. Start with the sun around the bird hole. Using a pint lid, trace around the hole for the sun. Lay the cut-out snake around the sun and largest cactus then trace around the snake. Trace or pencil in the shapes to fill in space on the gourd.
- Artist choice on the colors used on the designs. Using the CB-106 Script Liner apply three coats of underglaze color to all the shapes. Detail the snakes with dots or stripes with one coat of contrasting color. Use the curved side of the cleanup tool to remove color from the cactus for the spikes.
- Using the CB-106 Script Liner fill in the remaining spaces of the gourd with one heavy coat of color.
- Use one of the mini ribbon tools from Xiem 10291 Mini Ribbon Sculpting Tools. One of the tools may be too large for this application.
- Leave a line of the Kings Blue around the shapes, follow the direction of the shape with the tool, to carve away lines in the greenware.
- Let dry, fire to cone 04.
- Apply two coats of S-2101 Clear using CB-604 Soft Fan.
- Fire again at 04 to get the most vibrant color.