- Last Updated: Friday, 10 May 2019 15:13
- MB-1290 Bird House
- CG-716NT Pagoda Green
- FN-008 Brown
- PC-601 Clear Cascade
- S-2709 Cappuccino Mint
- BT-910 Synthetic Sponges
- CB-406 #6 Pointed Round
- CB-604 #4 Soft Fan
- Small Cup
- Masking Tape
- Silk Sponge
- Begin with properly fired shelf cone 04 bisque. Moisten a clean sponge and wipe bisque to remove any dust.
- Remove the stopper. Optional: Place masking tape over the hole in the front and top of the birdhouse.
- Place some FN-008 Brown into a small cup and add a little bit of water to slightly dilute it. It should be the consistency of a coffee cream. Pour this into the birdhouse and roll around to completely coat the interior of the birdhouse. Remove the tape from the top of the birdhouse and let the excess Glaze drain from the inside. Drain out the excess Glaze and keep birdhouse inverted until it has lost its shine. Remove the masking tape. Wipe off any Glaze from the outside using a damp Sponge. Allow to dry.
- Using the Soft Fan, apply 2-3 Coats of FN-008 Brown to the entire outside of the birdhouse.
- Using a Silk Decorating Sponge loaded with SC-16 Cotton Tail, sponge on 2 Coats of color to the birdhouse excluding the roof. Do apply the color to the top ball finial portion on the roof though.
- Allow drying time between the Coats of SC-16 Cotton Tail. Keep the color back from the edges about ¼” where the roof and body of the birdhouse meet. This should be slightly uneven. Leave a space between the bottom rim and around the side hole and footrest as well.
- Using the Pointed Round, apply 1 thin coat of PC-601 Clear Cascade to the sections on the roof excluding the raised beaded rim between the sections on the roof.
- Using the Pointed Round, apply 2 Coats of CG-716 Pagoda Green to the sections of the roof painted with PC-601 Clear Cascade. The crystals should be evenly dispersed yet somewhat heavy on each section. Keep the crystals off of the ridges in the roof. Do not paint the top finial on the roof. Allow to dry.
- Using the Soft Fan, apply 1 coat of S-2709 Cappuccino Mint over the entire outside of the birdhouse. This includes the roof, body, and bottom of the birdhouse. There will be a few crystals that will be deposited on the outside of the birdhouse, which is what you are looking for. Try not to apply a lot of crystals over the entire piece. The scattered random placement is what you are trying to achieve here. Allow to dry.
- Make sure the stopper is not in the piece before firing.
- Stilt and fire to shelf cone 06.