Graffiti Tile Underglaze
Designer: Kaitlyn Miller
- Roll out a ¼” thick slab.
- Cut slab into a 5” x 7” rectangle and compress both sides with rib.
- Sketch out shape that script will go inside and cut stencil out of cardboard.
- Sketch script to go inside the shape on paper and set aside.
- Place cardboard stencil on slab and place texture mat overtop.
- Firmly press texture mat into clay being careful not to move it.
- Pull mat away slowly revealing texture and remove stencil.
- Using a straw, punch a hole for the tile to hang from.
- Thin a small amount of black underglaze with water to create a wash. Paint wash onto textured surface.
- Using a dry sponge remove glaze access glaze from the relief leaving glaze only in the indentations.
- Cut paper with your script sketch to fit inside logo area.
- Place on clay, trace script with pencil and peel away revealing indentation.
- Using detail liner brush and white underglaze, trace outline of design.
- Using detail liner brush and red underglaze, fill in script lettering. Apply a second coat once the first is fully dry.
- Using detail liner brush and blue underglaze, fill in logo shape around the words leaving some room around the edges. Apply a second coat once the first is fully dry.
- While the blue underglaze is still wet, apply yellow underglaze to the edges of your logo, allowing the colors to blend. Apply a second coat to just the edges once first coat is completely dry.
- Using detail liner brush, apply a second coat of white underglaze to the outline.
- Apply black underglaze wash around the outside of logo to create depth.
- Using a sgraffito tool once black wash dry, scrape away access wash to create highlights on the textured surface.
- Allow to dry completely.
- Bisque fire to Cone 04.
- Option to glaze with clear coat and glaze fire to Cone 06.
- Low-fire red clay (Laguna EM106)
- UG-97 Bright Blue
- UG-206 Fire Engine Red
- UG-50 Jet Black
- UG-46 Bright Yellow
- UG-51 China White
- MT-003 Brick Mat
- Cardboard paper
- Fettling knife
- Sgraffito tool